Construction Supervisor (Full-time, permanent)
The Municipality of the County of Inverness is seeking a Construction Supervisor to assist in the comprehensive planning, construction oversight and successful completion of a wide range of Municipal projects. This position is responsible for the supervision of construction projects, to ensure compliance within required budgetary, scheduling, regulatory, and safety goals. The Construction Supervisor will coordinate preconstruction, construction and commissioning/post construction activities as performed by contractors and/or vendors at various project sites throughout the County of Inverness. The Construction Supervisor is required to perform an array of duties related to the safety, organization, and efficient operation of sites. Typical duties may include site visits, safety audits, job hazard assessments, onsite quality and control, productivity efficiency reviews, assisting in bid preparation, scheduling crews, shipping and receiving site materials, as well as other field management and closeout duties.
The duties and responsibilities of the Construction Supervisor include but are limited to the following:
- Working collaboratively with the Municipality’s management team to determine project priorities and work plans.
- Working collaboratively to plan, schedule, organize, control, and evaluate construction projects from start to finish.
- Planning and preparing construction timelines and monitor progress against established schedules.
- Consulting blueprints, designs, and instructions to develop construction plans and provide feedback.
- Working collaboratively to prepare contracts and negotiate revisions, changes, and additions to contractual agreements with architects, clients, suppliers, and subcontractors.
- Working collaboratively to develop and implement a Quality Control Program.
- Working collaboratively to resolve problems that arise, such as contractor, or residential complaints, compliance issues and supply shortages.
- Meet construction objectives with project management, scheduling and estimating resources.
- Ensuring projects are efficiently, and safely implemented in accordance with Municipal and regulatory procedures and policies.
- Collaborate to coordinate activities or groups, such as safety programs, engineering, construction, budget, analysis and contract administration.
- Preventing fines and interruptions by complying with and enforcing codes and permits.
- Explore opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Process paperwork
- Be able to travel to multiple construction sites as required.
- Oversee the running of several projects and creating construction schedules utilizing labour efficiently.
- Communicating and building relationships with a range of people including various contractors, subcontractors, suppliers, accounting staff, the public and the workforce.
- Revising construction schedules as necessary due to any delays such as weather, supply issues, labour shortage, etc.
- Participating in preparing budgets and schedules.
- Scheduling deliveries of construction materials and services from the selected procurement companies.
- Maintaining construction standards, quality control and site conditions to Municipal expectations.
- Tracking costs and ensuring project stays on or under budget. Any budget deviation is subject to immediate review.
- Expediting and justifying all change orders, reviewing each with Supervisor to determine best practice to eliminate change in future builds.
- Conducting safety inspections of the site when work is underway and ensure adherence to regulations relating to Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S).
- Ensuring all inspections are performed on time and permits received; codes & regulations followed.
- Ensuring that final inspection is completed and identify deficiencies.
- High School Diploma or similar.
- Bachelor’s degree in Construction, Business, Management, or Engineering preferred.
- Experience in the construction industry required.
- Experience in a leadership role recommended.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Strong computer skills in MS Excel, Word, and PowerPoint.
- Have knowledge of MS Project or similar scheduling software and scheduling protocols.
- Strong problem solving, decision making, organizing, planning and time management skills.
- The ability to read and interpret blueprints and construction drawings.
- GPS expertise.
- Experience supervising multiple trades and workers.
- Analytical Skills: Experienced planning for large-scale, multi-step projects.
- Management Skills: Lead the teams on site and keep them motivated/focused on the job.
- Communication: Excellent writing and speaking skills are needed when communicating with stakeholders and customers.
- Time-Management: Deadlines are crucial. Proactive planning used to ensure that everything is on schedule and moving smoothly.
- Need to be able to do medium work as defined by Workers Compensation Board of Nova Scotia – Exerting up to 22.7 Kg (50 lbs) of force occasionally and/or up to 9.1 Kg (20 lbs) of force frequently and/or up to 4.5 Kg (10 lbs) of force constantly.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.
To apply for this position, please send a résumé and cover letter complete with three references to firstname.lastname@example.org by October 2nd, 2020 at 4pm.
September 8, 2020
August 24, 2020
Nomination papers for all candidates contesting the following positions in the October 17th, 2020 Municipal…
August 13, 2020
Canadian Navigable Waters Act The Municipality of the County of Inverness hereby gives notice that…