Editor-in-Chief – Participaper (12 Month Contract)
Title: Editor-in-Chief, Participaper (12 Month Contract – Compensation based on a per issue basis)
Location: Remote work and/or Port Hood, NS
The Municipality of the County of Inverness looking to hire an editor-in-chief for the Participaper, the Municipality’s quarterly proprietary cultural publication with over 50 years of history. The Participaper is ready to go in a new direction, while still honouring its past and the content that draws in readers. As such, the candidate should have outstanding writing, editing and creative skills, as well as planning, organizational and management skills with the ability to work comfortably under pressure. They should have a superb command of the English language and be familiar with Inverness County, its communities, and its values.
- Generate story ideas in collaboration with Municipal staff and community volunteers.
- Manage Municipal writing staff and freelance content producers.
- Write stories, conduct interviews and take photos when necessary.
- Approve content, appearance, and layout of featured articles.
- Liaise with community members and volunteer groups to showcase stories from across Inverness County.
- Work with Advocate Media to schedule printing and distribution of the publication.
- Supervise graphic designer and summer students.
- Oversee photography, design, and artwork to be used in the publication.
- Meet with writers and artists to discuss features, layouts, and artwork.
- Comply with media law and industry regulations.
- Send regular briefs to writers that include deadlines, writing style and fees.
- Network actively at events.
- Commission articles from staff and freelance content producers.
- Proofread, edit, and rewrite articles to meet publication standards.
- Actively raise the profile of the publication.
- Develop, implement, and lead an advertising campaign for the publication.
- Complete a strategic plan for the Participaper with ideas for new features, design, layout, funding avenues, and cross-media promotion tactics.
- Assist all staff to meet deadlines.
- Other duties as required.
- Bachelor’s degree or diploma in communications, journalism, public relations, English or a related discipline (essential).
- 3 years of work experience as a magazine editor, content producer, journalist, writer, or a related discipline.
- Advertising experience.
- Demonstrable experience in producing relevant content to target audiences.
- Exceptional writing, editing and interpersonal skills. Knowledge of French, Gaelic or Mi’kmaq would be considered an asset.
- Ability to nurture long-term relationships with stakeholders such as residents, local businesses, community groups, volunteers, and Municipal staff.
- Analytical thinker with strong conceptual and research skills.
- Natural leader who displays strong decision-making and attention to detail.
- Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Ability to understand and influence target audiences.
To apply for this position, forward your resume and cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00pm on Wednesday, July 21, 2021.
July 26, 2021
Congratulations, Semi Larade! The Lemoine Development Association is pleased to nominate Semi Larade as our…
July 19, 2021
Congratulations, Carolyn Janega! The Strait Richmond Palliative Care Society is happy to nominate Carolyn Janega…
July 12, 2021
Congratulations, Alice Gowans! North Mountain Cultural & Recreation Association is pleased to nominate Alice Gowans…