Infrastructure Maintenance Labourer
Title: Infrastructure Maintenance Labourer
Reports to: Manager of Infrastructure and Lead Hand Infrastructure Maintenance
Department: Infrastructure and Emergency Services
Location: Strathlorne, Nova Scotia
The Infrastructure Maintenance Labourer performs a variety of manual tasks requiring physical effort and agility. The Maintenance Labourer will frequently travel to and from sites throughout the Municipality and respond to emergency situations outside of regular work hours. The role will require teamwork and the ability to work in a variety of weather conditions.
- Conduct tasks related to the scheduled maintenance and repair of Municipal infrastructure.
- Perform labor duties related to the maintenance and repair of the Municipal water distribution system, manholes, valves, etc.
- Help the Maintenance team maintain and repair the Municipal sewage distribution system.
- Assist or conduct sewer & water hook-ups as required.
- Provide support with standpipe repairs as needed.
- Assist with cross cuts, asphalt, and sidewalk repairs.
- Loading and unloading of trucks and trailers.
- Signalman for truck drivers and equipment operators.
- Shovel aggregate, dig and backfill when necessary.
- Complete a full range of grounds maintenance activities including but not limited to: mowing, trimming and pruning, weed control application, fertilizing, seeding and watering.
- Operate equipment such as vehicles, mowers, skid steers, and other misc. equipment, conducting basic.
- Facility maintenance which includes cleaning, painting, etc.
- Shovel snow and treat ice where required.
- Operate snowplow equipment when necessary.
- Installation of and repairs of fences, signs, and other assets within Municipal facilities and on Municipal property.
- Administer the coordination of services such as garbage bin clean-up, community signage, etc.
- Building maintenance & janitorial services where required.
- Conduct solid waste pick up when required.
- Conduct duties as a Traffic Control Person or Signer when required.
- Complete daily pre-work job assessments & take part in toolbox talks with all relevant staff and returns signed off sheets to the OHS Specialist on a weekly basis.
- Always adheres to safety regulations.
- Adhere to federal & provincial legislation and regulations.
- Adhere to Municipal policies and procedures.
- Report all near-misses and incidents to Lead Hand – Maintenance immediately.
- Maintain courteous and positive public relations with ratepayers, including, residents of the community, representatives of organizations and visitors by delivering quality service.
- Assist with the enforcement of the Municipal animal control bylaw.
- This is a dynamic position and there are other duties that may be assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED) or Completion of post-secondary education.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract required.
- Current WHMIS and First Aid Training.
- Experience and proficiency utilizing smaller yard work & snow removal equipment (eg. lawn mower, snow blower, snowplow vehicle).
- Working knowledge of requirements of the NS Motor Vehicle Act and the National Safety Code including but not limited to daily trip inspections, reporting of defects and abnormalities, driver’s logbook and roadside inspections.
- Ability to perform physical labour as part of the job duties (moderate to heavy work).
- Ability to obtain confined space entry and recovery qualifications.
- Ability to obtain Traffic Control Person and Signer Qualifications.
- Ability to work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Must display strong communication skills including being capable of carrying out both verbal and written instruction as well as be able to produce and maintain accurate and legible written records.
- Must display consistency in being punctual, responsible, and dependable.
- Must support a safe work culture including the incorporation of safe work practices in daily work.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours, overtime (including after hours and evenings) and undertake various shifts as required and to deal with stressful situations.
- Must be capable of operating ½ ton and 1-ton trucks and vans.
- Must be comfortable working in outdoor environments for extended periods of time as well as working in and with sanitary systems.
- Must be able to work with hand and power tools safely.
- Able to complete required safety training.
- Able to stand for extended periods of time.
- Ability to obtain Class 5 driver’s licence with Endorsement 15.
THE FOLLOWING ARE CONSIDERED ASSETS:
- Current Traffic Control Person.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
- Post-Secondary training in a related trade would be considered an asset.
- Labour experience in a municipal setting.
- Confined space and traffic control certification would be considered an asset.
- Trenching and excavation training/certification.
- Proven organizational and time management abilities.
- Should be familiar with hauling a trailer.
- Should possess basic computer skills and mobile device literacy.
- Experience working within confined and restricted spaces. Confined space entries may require the use of supplied air equipment.
To apply for this position, forward your resume and cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00pm on Wednesday, June 23rd, 2021.
June 14, 2021
Congratulations, Wilson Cameron! Five separate groups maintain the beautiful Celtic Shores Coastal Trail from Port…
June 7, 2021
Proposed Adoption of By-Law for the Municipality of the County of Inverness PLEASE TAKE NOTICE…
June 7, 2021
Congratulations, Betty Lou Beaton! The Stella Maris Ladies Auxiliary, Creignish wishes to recognize Betty Lou…