Title: Labourers Seasonal (3 Month Term – 4 positions)
Location: Strathlorne, NS
The Municipality of the County of Inverness is currently looking for self-motivated, safety-oriented, dependable team players to join the Municipal team. Seasonal labourers perform a variety of manual tasks requiring physical effort and stamina. Physical work is required for the positions including heavy, repetitive lifting, shoveling and digging, standing for long durations, walking, painting, and ground maintenance. The successful candidates will frequently travel to and from sites throughout the Municipality and will be required to respond to emergency situations outside of regular work hours from time to time. The role will require teamwork and the ability to work outside in a variety of weather conditions.
- Conduct duties as a Traffic Control Person or Signer when required.
- Signalman for truck drivers and equipment operators.
- Shovel aggregate, dig and backfill when necessary.
- Complete a full range of grounds maintenance activities including but not limited to mowing, trimming and pruning, weed control application, fertilizing, seeding and watering.
- Operate equipment such as vehicles, mowers, skid steers, and other miscellaneous equipment.
- Facility maintenance which includes cleaning, painting, etc.
- Installation of and repairs of fences, signs, and other assets within Municipal facilities and on Municipal property.
- Participate in garbage bin clean-up as well as upkeep, and collection of solid waste at community collection points.
- Building maintenance and janitorial services where required.
- Conduct solid waste pick up when required.
- Assist in enforcing the Municipality’s animal control bylaw.
- Complete daily pre-work job assessments & take part in toolbox talks with all relevant staff and returns signed off sheets to the OHS Specialist on a weekly basis.
- Always adheres to safety regulations.
- Adhere to federal & provincial legislation and regulations.
- Adhere to Municipal policies and procedures.
- Report all near-misses and incidents immediately.
- Maintain courteous and positive public relations with ratepayers, including, residents of the community, representatives of organizations and visitors by delivering quality service.
- This is a dynamic position and there are other duties that may be assigned.
- High school diploma or equivalent General Education Diploma (GED) or Completion of post-secondary education.
- Valid driver’s license with a clean driver’s abstract required.
- Current WHMIS and First Aid Training.
- Experience and proficiency utilizing smaller yard work equipment.
- Ability to perform physical labour as part of the job duties (moderate to heavy work).
- Ability to obtain Traffic Control Person and Signer Qualifications.
- To work cooperatively and effectively in a team environment as well as independently.
- Must display strong communication skills including being capable of carrying out both verbal and written instruction as well as be able to produce and maintain accurate and legible written records.
- Must display consistency in being punctual, responsible, and dependable.
- Must support a safe work culture including the incorporation of safe work practices in daily work.
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours, overtime (including after hours and evenings) and undertake various shifts as required and to deal with stressful situations.
- Must be capable of operating ½ ton and 1-ton trucks and vans.
- Must be comfortable working in outdoor environments for extended periods of time.
- Must be able to work with hand and power tools safely.
- Able to complete required safety training.
- Able to stand for extended periods of time.
THE FOLLOWING ARE CONSIDERED ASSETS:
- Current Traffic Control Person.
- Transportation of Dangerous Goods.
- Post-Secondary training in a related trade would be considered an asset.
- Labour experience in a municipal setting.
- Confined space and traffic control certification would be considered an asset.
- Trenching and excavation training/certification.
- Proven organizational and time management abilities.
- Should be familiar with hauling a trailer.
- Should possess basic computer skills and mobile device literacy.
To apply for this position, forward your resume and cover letter in confidence to: firstname.lastname@example.org by 4:00pm on Monday, June 14th, 2021.
June 14, 2021
Congratulations, Wilson Cameron! Five separate groups maintain the beautiful Celtic Shores Coastal Trail from Port…
June 7, 2021
Proposed Adoption of By-Law for the Municipality of the County of Inverness PLEASE TAKE NOTICE…
June 7, 2021
Congratulations, Betty Lou Beaton! The Stella Maris Ladies Auxiliary, Creignish wishes to recognize Betty Lou…