Manager of Legal & Governance (Full-time, Permanent)
The Municipality of the County of Inverness currently has an opening for a Manager of Legal and Governance. This includes, but is not limited to, providing governance, leadership, and advice and support to the Chief Administrative Officer (CAO) and members of Council. The employee in this position will provide active daily technical direction, supervision and accountability for process control decision(s) of Municipal facilities that directly impact public health and the environment. The person in this position will be a fully participating member of the Municipality’s Executive Team, driving strategy and performance, and identifying and championing the delivery of Council’s vision and strategy with the CAO, Council, committee members, and all Municipal staff.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Perform all duties and responsibilities of Manager of Legal & Governance as well as;
- Provide advice to Council, the CAO and Executive Team, and ensure the Municipality is responsive to Council directions and changing service level priorities and objectives.
- Provide innovative vision and strategic direction to enhance the governance of the Municipality.
- Act as the Municipality’s lead expert on the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPOP) Act and provide relevant advice.
- Provide Human Resource advice to the Human Resource Specialist and Executive Team.
- Participate in the management and performance of Municipal staff and secure continuous improvement and efficiencies within diminishing resources and changing demands.
- Be an active participant in the development of policies and procedures in a collaborative environment.
- Ensure that all Municipal and Council processes are delivered efficiently and effectively, and Council’s activities are conducted in a lawful and transparent manner.
- Develop risk assessments and monitor the activities for the Municipality.
- Actively encourage innovation and creativity across the Municipality, pushing boundaries to improve efficiency and achieve new ways of working.
- Act as lead for Municipal elections.
The successful candidate will possess the following or an acceptable combination of education, experience and understanding of The Municipal Government Act, and the willingness to learn and grow professionally.
Essential Requirements for the Position:
- Proven leadership experience.
- Effective interpersonal skills in dealing with staff, peers, Council and the general public under all types of circumstances.
- Thorough understanding of Nova Scotia Municipal Government Act, Nova Scotia Elections Act, Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy (FOIPOP) Act, and licensing and records management regulations
- Minimum of five years of relevant experience in an environment which incorporates decision making, strategic and business planning.
- Ability to remain impartial across the political spectrum.
- Must be able to demonstrate a passion for making a difference, an appetite to address challenges and an ability to empower and motivate others.
- Must be a strategic and logical thinker and decision-maker who is able to provide practical and creative solutions.
- Excellent communication skills and the ability to communicate complex information effectively, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality and use discretion.
- Ability to provide efficient, accurate and timely support to the CAO, Warden and Council.
- Demonstrated ability to advise members on policy options, determine priorities and to communicate a clearly recommended way forward.
- Proven ability of successful engagement with senior stakeholders to achieve desired outcomes.
Asset Qualifications/Skills: The following are not essential for the position but will be taken into consideration:
- Experience/qualifications in Law, Public Administration or Business Administration.
- Experience in a Municipal Government setting.
- University or College Degree.
- Practicing member of the Nova Scotia Barristers Society in good standing.
To apply for this position, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org by July 14th, 2020 at 4:00 with the following:
- A cover letter detailing your experience as it relates to the position.
- A resume with three (3) current references.
June 24, 2020
This meeting took place June 18th, 2020 at 9:30 am. 1. Call to Order and…
June 24, 2020
This meeting took place June 4th, 2020 at 1:30 pm. 1. Call to Order…
June 3, 2020
INVERNESS, N.S. – The Municipality of the County of Inverness in partnership with Develop Nova…