Inverness County is celebrating 20 years of recycling.
Let’s continue to do our part for the environment today and everyday.
Any questions or concerns contact the Public Works Dept. at 902-787-3503.
Blue Bags and Composting
Residential waste can be separated into four separate waste streams:
- recyclable containers
- paper products
- compostable materials
- regular refuse for disposal
You are encouraged to bring redeemable beverage containers to your local enviro-depot for a refund. There are no refunds available when using the blue bag program. Call the depot nearest you for their hours of operation. Please note that these depots are privately owned and maintained.
Cormier's Bottle Exchange, Cheticamp, 224-1972
Inverness Enviro-Depot, Inverness, 258-3225
Admiral Enviro-Depot, Port Hood, 787-3494
Backyard Composting is also Recycling
Industrial, Commercial and Institutional sectors have their food waste taken away by a private hauler to the Kenloch Waste Management Facility. Residential composting is not collected roadside in Inverness County. Residents should be using a backyard composter of some sort so there is very little food waste going in their regular garbage. Composting takes very little effort, just a slight change in some of our daily habits. The more we keep out of the landfill the less leachate (liquid created when food waste comes into contact with water) is formed. Keeping organics out of landfills is one way to reduce environmental risks.
You can drop off your electronics for recycling at the Municipal Recycling Facility in Strathlorne. Electronics accepted include televisions and monitors, telephones and cellular devices, printers, computers, and more. For a complete list, please visit this website.
Kenloch Waste Management Facility
Saturday: 8:30am - Noon
Closed Sundays and holidays
Municipal Recycling Facility
Address: 15109 Route 19, Strathlorne
Monday to Friday: 7am - 4pm (closed between noon and 1pm)
Saturday: 7am - Noon
Closed Sundays and holidays
Spring Heavy Garbage 2021 will occur from May 17 - June 4. The complete schedule will be shared at a later date.
Did You Know?
- Our collection trucks are split for garbage and blue bag recycling. Please make sure you sort properly so your material is recycled and not landfilled.
- Beverage containers can be returned to the Enviro Depot for refund in Cheticamp 224-1972, Strathlorne 258-3225 and Port Hood 787-3494. Please call ahead for hours of operation. These depots are all privately owned and operated.
- Paint cans containing paint go back to the Enviro Depot (locations & phone numbers listed above) anytime. Empty paint cans go to regular garbage anytime.
- Tires can be left at the retailer when buying new ones. Please note there is a fee on your new tires.• Textiles should be deposited in a bin near you for charity.
- Household hazardous waste is collected at an annual event in the fall of the year. This includes, but is not limited to, compact fluorescent bulbs, pesticides, varnish, etc.
- Medical waste should be placed in a yellow container provided by your local pharmacy for syringes, needles, unused or outdated medicines. These containers can be returned to the pharmacy for disposal. Do not place syringes or needles in pop or laundry detergent bottles for the safety of our staff.
- Our spring and fall clean up weeks will be set by council in May and October. You can contact us after the first Monday for confirmed dates.