Notice of public hearing
NOVA SCOTIA UTILITY AND REVIEW BOARD
NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
MUNICIPALITY OF THE COUNTY OF INVERNESS, on behalf of its WATER UTILITY has applied for approval of amendments to its Schedule of Rates and Charges for Water and Water Services and amendments to its Schedule of Rules and Regulations.
This matter will be considered in a public hearing as follows:
Wednesday, May 24, 2023
Port Hood Fire Hall
304 Main Street
Port Hood, Nova Scotia
Depending on the circumstances related to COVID-19, this public hearing may be held by GoToWebinar video conferencing.
Board Hearings are open to the public, and you may participate as follows:
• You may speak at the hearing. You must notify the Board by Thursday, May 18, 2023.
• You may make written comments by sending a letter to the Clerk of the Board at P.O. Box 1692, Unit “M”, Halifax, NS B3J 3S3, or by email at: firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax at (902) 424-3919 by Thursday, May 18, 2023.
• You may request formal standing as an Intervener, subject to Board approval. This will allow you to present evidence or cross-examine witnesses. Your request must be received by the Board by Monday, March 13, 2023, and a copy of your written evidence by Thursday, April 13, 2023.
Additional information about the matter is as follows:
• For unmetered customers, the quarterly water bill is proposed to increase from $130.81 in 2022/23 to $227.04 (a 73.6% increase) in 2023/24; $245.67 (an 8.2% increase) in 2024/25; and $252.38 (a 2.7% increase) in 2025/26.
• For a 5/8″ meter, residential customer, the average current quarterly water bill is $90.01, and it is proposed to increase to $141.31 (a 57.0% increase) in 2023/24; $153.14 (an 8.4% increase) in 2024/25; and $158.72 (a 3.6% increase) in 2025/26.
• The Utility is also requesting increases for other metered services’ rates ranging from 38.3% to 97.0% in 2023/24; 8.4% to 9.0%% in 2024/25; and 2.8% to 4.8% in 2025/26.
• The annual public fire protection charge, paid by the Municipality of the County of Inverness, currently $216,629, is proposed to increase to $435,801 (a 101.2% increase) in 2023/24; $482,196 (a 10.6% increase) in 2024/25; and $508,809 (a 5.5% increase) in 2025/26.
Upon reviewing the Application, the Board, in its Decision, may determine that the proposed amendments should be as requested, higher, or lower.
A copy of the Application and any timetable applying to this matter may be viewed on the Board’s website at nsuarb.novascotia.ca, by clicking on “Matters & Evidence”, and in the “Go To Files and Documents”, enter Matter No. M10990.
View this notice as a pdf:
M10990 – Notice of Public Hearing
Transformative investment in water and wastewater infrastructure in the community of Inverness
March 17, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE Inverness, Nova Scotia, March, 17, 2023—Today, representatives of the Government of Canada,…
Apply to sit on the seniors’ council
February 21, 2023
The Municipality of the County of Inverness is seeking six seniors (ages 55+) or representatives…
Deputy Premier to visit Chéticamp recipient of Community Generator Program
February 8, 2023
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE 8 February, 2023 CHETICAMP, INVERNESS COUNTY – Inverness MLA and Deputy Premier…