NOTICE: Call for Nominations
Nomination papers for all candidates contesting the following positions in the October 17th, 2020 Municipal Elections are available by contacting the Returning Officer at 902-258-5012 or by emailing email@example.com. For more detailed information regarding qualifications for candidates, nomination papers and district descriptions, visit https://invernesscounty.ca/municipal-elections/
- One (1) Councillor for each of the Polling Districts
District #1- Chéticamp, Pleasant Bay & Meat Cove
District #2- Grand Étang/St.Joseph du Moine & the Margarees
District #3- Inverness, Dunvegan & Area
District #4- Lake Ainslie, Whycocomagh & Area
District #5- Port Hood, Mabou & Area
District #6- Judique, Port Hastings, West Bay & Area
- Two (2) members of the Conseil scolaire acadien provincial (CSAP) representing all districts in the Municipality of the County of Inverness.
Please note: Nomination papers may be filed with the Returning Officer August 27th, 28th, and 31st as well as September 1st – 4th, 2020 by appointment. Nomination Day is Sept. 8th, 2020, 9:00am – 5:00pm at the Municipal Administrative Building (375 Main Street, Port Hood). Appointments are recommended.
Dated at Port Hood, Nova Scotia this 18th day of August, 2020.
NOTICE OF (VIRTUAL) PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed Adoption of By-Law for the Municipality of the County of Inverness
PLEASE TAKE NOTICE THAT the Municipality of the County of Inverness intends to consider adopting the following by-law:
By-Law to Authorize Voting by Telephone and Internet for the 2020 Municipal Election
The Municipality accepted First Reading of the By-Law to Authorize the Voting by Telephone and Internet for the 2020 Municipal Election on July 9th, 2020.
The motion to adopt the By-Law to Authorize the Voting by Telephone and Internet for the 2020 Municipal Election will be presented to the Municipal Council for Second and Final Reading at the Regular Municipal Council Meeting, Thursday, August 6th, 2020 at 1:30 pm online.
A copy of the By-Law to Authorize the Voting by Telephone and Internet for the 2020 Municipal Election can be inspected online by clicking here or at the office of the Municipality of the County of Inverness, 375 Main St., Port Hood, NS.
Written or oral presentations (in favour or opposition) regarding the new By-Law to Authorize the Voting by Telephone and Internet for the 2020 Municipal Election
can be made before Council at the Public Hearing to be held:
Thursday, August 6th, 2020
1:00 pm by Zoom Video Conference
375 Main St., Port Hood, NS
Since participation in the meeting will be via an online meeting platform
please call 902-787-3501 prior to August 6th, and you will be issued a link
with directions on how to participate.
Please also take notice that the Public Hearing will be followed by a regular meeting of Municipal Council at 1:30 pm on August 6th, 2020.
If you have any further questions, please call 902-787-3501.
Call for Municipal Election Support Workers
The Municipality of the County of Inverness seeks Deputy Returning Officers, Poll Clerks and Guides to manage Polling Stations for the 2020 Municipal Election October 17, 2020 within the Municipality in accordance with the Nova Scotia Municipal Elections Act.
Reporting to the Returning Officer:
- The Deputy Returning Officer or DRO oversees a particular polling station on election day, in accordance with the Nova Scotia Municipal Elections Act. Rate of pay is $175/day.
- The Poll Clerk keeps a written record of the voting at the polling station, in accordance with the Nova Scotia Municipal Elections Act. Rate of pay is $150/day.
- The Poll Guides will register voters as they enter polling stations; direct voters to appropriate poll for voting; enforce and maintain social distancing as required by Provincial and Municipal Health requirements, as it applies to COVID-19. Rate of pay is $150/day.
- Candidates must satisfy the requirements to vote in the 2020 Municipal Election in accordance with the Nova Scotia Municipal Elections Act.
- Training will be provided.
- Experience is an asset.
Apply by September 1st, 2020 by email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information, please call 902-258-5012.